Thursday, July 16, 2015

1992, BOSTON, USA - COMMON HOUSE AS A PRIVATE PROPERTY


BOSTON, USA , STREET PERFORMANCE. COMMON HOUSE

FILM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64GfQvHv-AY

In this performance I investigated the physical effect of strictly defined ownership of private property in the USA and its manifestation within the visual appearance of the city's buildings. I chose one of the numerous examples of artificially imposed discontinuity in a building's appearance, which resulted from the actions of two different owners of each half of one architecturally unique house. The left side of this house was clearly painted differently from the right one. I stood in front of the house, interviewing causal walkers on the street. I asked them if they could observe the house for a while and tell me what was wrong with it. Most adults who were born in the USA did not notice the illogical appearance of the whole house, but instead described the appealing beauty of it. But most children who were asked did notice (I hope instinctively) the discontinuity and answered: "it is painted half black and half white."

No comments:

Post a Comment